Thursday, July 15, 2010

Southwest Mac and Cheese


I am going to post this recipe without a pic then add the pic later. My camera battery is charging. I created this recipe out of my head which I do a lot except I measured and wrote everything down just for the blog:)
This recipe is loosely based on Famous Davies jalapeno and corn mac and cheese. I also used everything I had on hand and I think it came out pretty good in fact I was so anxious to eat it I didn't let it thicken up as much as it should of so when you see the pic that is why it is still a little runny and not super thick it just need to cook for a little longer.
This makes a bunch but it heats up really well which is good since I will be eating it all myself.
I also tried to add some healthy stuff so I didn't have to feel quite as guilty with all the cheese.


Southwest Mac and Cheese

1 stick butter
8T flour
2 c milk
2c chicken stock (low sodium) I used homemade
2 8 oz blocks sharp cheese shredded about 5cs
1 pkg cream cheese
2 c corn more or less is okay I used 3 fresh ears
1/2 t sea salt (if using regular lesson than by half then adjust for your taste after added cheese)
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t onion powder
1/2 t paprika
1/2 t dried mustard
1/4t cayenne pepper
3 dashes hot sauce (adjust both hot sauce and cayenne pepper to your degree of tolerance, I used twice this in the end and for me it was just right not to hot but I like things hot!)
1 box of short noodles of your choice. I used a whole wheat type to make it healthier and it was what I had in my pantry.

Start by cooking pasta just shy of being done. I personally like my noodles soft.

In a separate pot melt butter once melted whisk in flour. Let cook for about 2 mins then slowly add the milk and chicken stock whisking as you go. The slower you add the liquids and let thicken before adding more will lesson the time to thicken up. If you get impatient it will actually take longer to thicken the sauce. While sauce is thickening add spices. Once well thickened add cream cheese and let melt then stir in shredded cheese and corn once melted add the pasta and stir and allow to finish thickening to your likeness.

If I were to serve to guests or want it to be pretty I would transfer to a baking dish then in a small bowl mix 1/2 shredded cheese, 1/2 c bread crumbs, 1/8 t paprika and sprinkle on top then broil until golden.

1 comment:

  1. They all look yummy I will have to try some when I get back from my vacation! We are excited to see you guys on Sat!

    ReplyDelete